Ann Christine Catlin
Senior Research Scientist
Catlin's research interests include the design and development of problem solving environments and knowledge base systems; architecture and technologies for web-based scientific research databases; data platforms for the preservation, exploration, and discovery of research data; interactive collaborative tools for data collection and data viewing; and analytics for medical and scientific data to support communities of research and practice.
She is the creative and architectural lead in developing web-based data technologies for medcial and scientific research databases on the hubzero platform. She has developed innovative solutions for data acquisition, data exploration and analytics for more than 40 collaborative database systems, and is now creating a unique, feature-rich, self-serve platform to support research data sharing, computation, results traceability, dataset publication and discovery.
Catlin's work has been funded by grants from the NSF, NIH, FDA, DoD, NIPTE, NIST, medical research foundations, and academic research centers. She has partnered with medical and scientific research groups worldwide to provide collaborative knowledge-based data platforms.
- B.S., Mathematics, Seton Hall University (1977)
- M.S., Mathematics, University of Notre Dame (1980)
Grants and Awards
- NSF CIF21 DIBBs: EI: Creating a Digital Environment for Enabling Data-driven Science (DEEDS) https://www.itap.purdue.edu/newsroom/news/171011_DEEDS_Grant.html. Building a self-serve data platform that is effective across disciplines and supports 1) collection, organization, preservation of research data, 2) launching of computations and tracking of research workflows, 3) exploration, sharing, publication and discovery of research datasets. https://datacenterhub.org/
- NIPTE/FDA: Excipient Risk Assessment Knowledge Base and Decision Support System for the analysis of FMEA risk assignments associated with excipient use in pharmaceutical manufacturing. https://pharmahub.org/excipient-risk-analysis
- International Thymic Malignancy Interest Group: Prospective Database and research platform to support collection and analysis of clinical data for patients with thymic malignancies, supports contribution from more than 100 hospitals worldwide. https://ccehub.org/portal/itmig
- Center for Medication Safety Advancement: The SafeRx Interactive Query System for exploration, analysis and visualization of adverse drug events reported to the FDA by consumers, manufacturers and healthcare providers. https://ccehub.org/saferx
- NIH/Yale University: Sankofa Database and research platform supports collection and analysis of clinical, behavioral and psychosocial data for pediatric HIV disclosure intervention. https://ccehub.org/sankofa
- Korst R, Catlin AC, Rutledge J, Girard N, Huang J, Detterbeck F, “Positron Emission Tomography in Thymic Tumors: Analysis Using a Prospective Research Database”, The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, Vol 104, Issue 6, Pages 1815–1820. 2017
- Thorlton J, Catlin AC, “Innovations for Enhancing Evidence Based Practice: Data Mining for Adverse Drug Events”, Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing. 2017 (under review)
- Ofori-Atta A, Reynolds N, Antwi S, Renner L, Nichols J, Lartey M, Amissah K, Tetteh J, Alhassan A, Pokuaa I, Ofori I, Catlin AC, Geliang G, Kyriakides T, Paintsil E, 'Prevalence and Predictors of Depression among Caregivers who have not Disclosed their Child's HIV Status in Ghana', AIDS and Behavior 2017 (under review)
- Renner L, Kyriakides T, Obeng W, Sampson A, Lartey M, Ofori-Atta A, Tettey JK, Amisah KA, Catlin AC, Reynolds N, Paintsil E. “Low Prevalence of Depression among HIV-infected Children who do not know their HIV Status in Ghana.” AIDS and Behavior. 2017 (under review).
- Catlin AC, HewaNadungodage C, Pujol S, Laughery L, Sim C, Puranam A, Bejarano A, “A Cyber Platform for Sharing Scientific Research Data at DataCenterHub.” IEEE Computing in Science and Engineering. 2017. (accepted)
- Arthur K, Catlin AC, Quebec A, Washington A. “Changing Smart Pump Vendors: Lessons Learned.” Hospital Pharmacy, 51(9): 782-789, doi: 10.1310/hpj5109-782. 2016.
- Catlin AC, Fernando S, Gamage R, Renner L, Antwi S, Tettey JK, Amisah KA, Kyriakides T, Cong X, Reynolds NR, Paintsil E, “Sankofa Pediatric HIV Disclosure Intervention Cyber Data Management: Building Capacity in a Resource-limited Setting and Ensuring Data Quality.” AIDS Care, 27(sup1): 99-107, doi: 10.1080/09540121.2015.1023246. 2015
- Reynolds N, Ofori-Atta A, Lartey M, Renner L, Sampson A, Enimil A, Catlin AC, Fernando S, Kyriakides T, Paintsil E. “Sankofa: A Multi-Site Collaboration on Pediatric HIV in Ghana.” AIDS, 29 (Sup 1): 35-45, doi: 10.1097/QAD.0000000000000725. 2015
- Catlin AC, Malloy W., Arthur K., Gaston C., Young J, Fernando R, “Comparative Analytics of Infusion Pump Data across Multiple Hospital Systems,” Am J Health-Syst Pharm.; 72:317-24. doi: 10.2146/ajhp140424, 2015.
- Catlin AC, Fernando, S., Gamage, R., Renner, L., Antwi, S., Tettey, J. K., Amisah, K.A., Kyriakides, T., Cong, X., Reynolds, N. R., Paintsil, E. “Sankofa Pediatric HIV Disclosure Intervention Cyber Data Management: Building Capacity in a Resource-limited Setting and Ensuring Data Quality” AIDS Care. In press. 2014
- Reynolds, N., Ofori-Atta, A., Lartey, M., Renner, L, Sampson, A., Enimil, A., Catlin AC, Fernando, S., Kyriakides, T., Paintsil, E, “Sankofa: A Multi-Site Collaboration on Pediatric HIV in Ghana” AIDS. In press. 2014
- Catlin, AC, Malloy, W., Arthur, K., Gaston, C., Young, J., Fernando, S., Fernando, R, “Comparative analytics of infusion pump data across multiple hospital systems” Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2015; 72:317-24. DOI 10.2146/ajhp140424
- Witz, S., Buening, N., Catlin, AC., Malloy, W., Kindsfater, J., Walroth, T., Washington, A., Zink, R, “Using Informatics to Improve Medical Device Safety and System Thinking” AAMI Horizon, Sep 2;48 Suppl 2:38-43, 2014 doi: 10.2345/0899-8205-48.s2.38. http://www.aami- bit.org/doi/full/10.2345/0899-8205-48.s2.38
- Huang, J., Usman, A., Antonicelli, A., Catlin AC, Fang, W., Gomez, D., Loehrer, P., Lucchi, M., Marom., E., Nicholson, A., Travis, W., Van Schil, P., Wakelee, H., Yoa, X., Detterbeck, F, doi:10.1097/JTO.0000000000000269
- Wang, T., Alston, K., Wassgren, C., Catlin, AC., Mockus, L., Fernando, SR, Fernando, S., Basu, P., Hoag, S, “The Creation of an Excipient Properties Database to Support Quality by Design (QbD) Formulation Development” Am. Pharm. Rev. 16(4):16-25, 2013.
- Hortacsu, A.,Pujol, S., Catlin, AC, “Development of a Database for Ground Motion and Building Performance Data, 15th World Conf. on Earthquake Engineering, Lisboa, Portugal, September 24-28, 2012
- Hacker, T., Eigenmann, R., Bagghi, S., Irfanoglu, Pujol, S., A., Catlin, AC., Rathje, E., Pujol, S, “Developing an Effective Cyberinfrastructure for Earthquake Engineering: The NEEShub”, Comp. in Science and Engineering. pp 67-75, July/August 2011.
- Kuriyan, K., Catlin, AC., Reklaitis, G, “pharmaHUB: Building a Virtual Organization for Pharmaceutical Engineering and Science” Journal of Pharmaceutical Innovation, Volume 4, Number 2, pp. 81-89. 2009
- Houstis, EN., Weerawarana, S., Rice, J.,Catlin, AC, “Problem Solving Environments: WebPDELab” SourceBook of Parallel Computing (G. Fox, Ian Foster and J. Dongarra, eds.), Morgan Kaufman Publishers, pp. 429-440. 2003.
- Houstis, EN., Catlin, AC., et al. “A knowledge database system for managing performance data and recommending scientific software” Comp. Science, Mathematics and Software, (R.F. Boisvert and E.N. Houstis, eds.), Purdue University Press. pp. 137-170. 2002
- Houstis, EN., Catlin, AC., Dhanjavi, N., Balakrishnan, G., Park, G., Rice, J., Lalis, S., Stamatogiannakis, M, “Network-based scientific computing” The Architecture of Scientific Software, (R.F. Boisvert, P. Tang, eds.), Kluwer Acad. Pub., Boston. pp. 3-26. 2001
- Houstis, EN., Rice, J., Weerawarana, S., Catlin,AC., Papachiou, P., Wang,K., Gaitatzes. M, “PELLPACK: A problem solving environment for PDE based applications on multicomputer platforms” ACM Trans. Math. Soft. Vol. 24, (1998), 30-73. Abridged version in Enabling Technologies for Computational Science, Kluwer, Boston. pp. 171-185. 2000
- Markus, S., Houstis, EN., Catlin, AC., Papachiou, P., Vavalis, E., Gottgried, D., Su, K., Balakrishnan, G., An agent-based netcentric framework for multi-disciplinary problem solving environments. International Journal of Computational Engineering Science. pp. 33-60. 2000