Sr. Computational Scientist
Amiya joined Research Computing in 2015 after finishing his Ph.D. in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Purdue University. As part of the Research Support team Amiya helps detect, localize, and debug failures in HPC applications. He is also responsible for administration and performance evaluation of HPC clusters in the cloud. Amiya is currently leading the software build automation project, where he designed and implemented tools for deploying scientific softwares in a reliable and reproducible fashion.
Amiya's research focuses on the dependability issues in Mobile and Cloud Computing. More specifically, he worked on finding novel techniques for mitigating performance interference in public clouds. He also helped uncover several bugs in the Android framework, more recently in Wear OS. Amiya is actively seeking collaborators who are passionate about improving the reliability and security of large scale distributed systems.
- B.Tech. in Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Kharagpur, India (2005)
- M.S. in Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Kharagpur, India (2008)
- Ph.D. in Computer Engineering, Purdue University, USA (2015)
- Program Committee: Reproducibility Challenge at the International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis (SC20, SC21).
- Program Committee: 37th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS 2017).
- Tutorial: "Python 201: Building Better Scientific Software in Python." Geoffrey Lentner, Lev Gorenstein, and Amiya K. Maji. in Practice & Experience in Advanced Research Computing Conference Series (PEARC 2020).
- Mentor-Protege Program: SC17, SC18, SC19, SC20.
- Journal Reviews: Journal of Systems and Software (Elsevier), Transactions on Services Computing (IEEE), Transaction on Dependable and Secure Computing (IEEE).
- Conference Reviews: DSN2019, ISSRE2018, DSN2017, SRDS2017, SRDS2016, COMSNETS2016, SRDS2014, DSN2014, DSN2013, DSN2012, SRDS2011, PRDC2011, DSN2010, SRDS2010, PRDC2010.
- Amiya K. Maji, Lev Gorenstein, and Geoffrey Lentner. "Demystifying Python Package Installation with conda-env-mod." in 7th Annual Workshop on HPC User Support Tools (HUST 2020), pp. 1-10. 2020. (held in conjunction with SC20)
- Edgardo Barsallo Yi, Heng Zhang, Amiya K. Maji, Kefan Xu, and Saurabh Bagchi. "Vulcan: lessons on reliability of wearables through state-aware fuzzing." in 18th International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications, and Services (Mobisys 2020), pp. 391-403. 2020.
- Edgardo Barsallo Yi, Heng Zhang, Amiya K. Maji, and Saurabh Bagchi. "Vulcan: a state-aware fuzzing tool for wear OS ecosystem." in 18th International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications, and Services (Mobisys 2020), pp. 480-481. 2020. (tools paper)
- Richard H. Grant, Cheng-Hsien Lin, Clifford T. Johnston, Stephen L. Harrell, Brian Zuelly, Amiya K. Maji, and Charles B. Smith. "Utilization of Iot and Cloud-Edge Technologies for the Continuous Measurement of Emissions from Fertilized Fields." in ASA, CSSA and SSSA International Annual Meetings (2019). ASA-CSSA-SSSA, 2019.
- Edgardo Barsallo Yi, Amiya Maji, and Saurabh Bagchi. "How reliable is my wearable: A fuzz testing-based study." in 48th Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN 2018), pp. 410-417. IEEE, 2018.
- Kevin Colby, Amiya K. Maji, Jason Rahman, and Joseph Bottum. "Testpilot: A flexible framework for user-centric testing of HPC clusters." in Fourth International Workshop on HPC User Support Tools (HUST 2017), pp. 1-10. 2017. (held in conjunction with SC17)
- David Akin, et al. "Linux Clusters Institute Workshops: Building the HPC and Research Computing Systems Professionals Workforce." in HPC Systems Professionals Workshop (SysPros 2017), pp. 1-8. 2017. (held in conjunction with SC17)
- Michael E. Baldwin, Xiao Zhu, Preston M. Smith, Stephen Lien Harrell, Robert Skeel, and Amiya Maji. "Scholar: A campus hpc resource to enable computational literacy." in Workshop on Education for High-Performance Computing (EduHPC 2016), pp. 25-31. IEEE, 2016.
- Subrata Mitra, Suhas R. Javagal, Amiya K. Maji, Todd Gamblin, Adam Moody, Stephen Harrell, Saurabh Bagchi. "A Study of Failures in Community Clusters: The Case of Conte," in 7th IEEE International Workshop on Program Debugging (IWPD 2016), pp. 1-8, October 23-27, 2016, Ottawa, Canada.
- Amiya K. Maji, Subrata Mitra, Saurabh Bagchi. "ICE: An Integrated Configuration Engine for Interference Mitigation in Cloud Services," in 12th IEEE International Conference on Autonomic Computing (ICAC 2015), pp. 1-10, July 7-10, 2015, Grenoble, France.
- Amiya K. Maji, Subrata Mitra, Bowen Zhou, Saurabh Bagchi, Akshat Verma. "Mitigating Interference in Cloud Services by Middleware Reconfiguration," in 15th ACM/IFIP/USENIX Middleware Conference (Middleware 2014), pp. 1-12, Dec 8-12, 2014, Bordeaux, France.
- Fahad A. Arshad, Amiya K. Maji, Sidharth Mudgal, and Saurabh Bagchi. "Is Your Web Server Suffering from Undue Stress due to Duplicate Requests?." in 11th International Conference on Autonomic Computing (ICAC 14), pp. 105-111. 2014.
- Amiya K. Maji, Fahad A. Arshad, Saurabh Bagchi, Jan S. Rellermeyer. "An Empirical Study of the Robustness of Inter-component Communication in Android," in 42nd Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN 2012), pp. 1-12, June 25-28, 2012, Boston, MA.
- Amiya K. Maji, Saurabh Bagchi. " v-CAPS: A Confidentiality and Anonymity Preserving Routing Protocol for Content-Based Publish-Subscribe Networks," in 7th International ICST Conference on Security and Privacy in Communication Networks (SecureComm 2011), pp. 1-20, Sep 7-9, 2011, London, UK.
- Amiya K. Maji, Kangli Hao, Salmin Sultana, Saurabh Bagchi. "Characterizing Failures in Mobile OSes: A Case Study with Android and Symbian," in 21st annual International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering (ISSRE 2010), pp. 1-10, Nov 1-4, 2010, San Jose, California.
- Amiya K. Maji, Arpita Mukhoty, Arun K. Majumdar, Jayanta Mukhopadhyay, Shamik Sural, Soubhik Paul, and Bandana Majumdar. "Security analysis and implementation of web-based telemedicine services with a four-tier architecture." in 2008 Second International Conference on Pervasive Computing Technologies for Healthcare, pp. 46-54. IEEE, 2008.
Other Activities and Fun Facts
- Award: Bravo Award for extraordinary employee achievement, Purdue University, 2020.
- Patent: Amiya K. Maji, Subrata Mitra, and Saurabh Bagchi. "Integrated configuration engine for interference mitigation in cloud computing." U.S. Patent No. 10310883, June 2019.