Access to RCAC Resources During ITaP Central Authentication Outage
On Sunday, December 27th, 2020, ITaP staff will perform major upgrades to the central authentication infrastructure. All applications that require logging in with BoilerKey or Career Account credentials will be unavailable Sunday, December 27, 2020 from 10:30am – 8:30pm. Prominent examples include Web VPN, PAL 3.0, SuccessFactors, Brightspace, myPurdue, Webclock, Ariba, OnePurdue, and many others.
All Research Computing computational and data resources are expected to stay up and available. Queued and running compute jobs will not be affected, and scheduling will remain enabled. However, your ability to authenticate and connect to these resources during the outage may be impacted.
As a general rule, use of any Research Computing services that require you to enter your BoilerKey credentials (
PIN,code) will be impacted. However, services that are based on SSH key-pair authentication will continue to be accessible. Please refer to the Accounts - Logging In - SSH Keys section in the user guide of each cluster for detailed instructions on how to set up SSH key pairs ahead of time.
The following is a list of resources and services that will be impacted by the central authentication outage. Please note that this list is our best effort approximation and not a guarantee.
- SSH connections to clusters: affected if you use BoilerKey to authenticate, not affected if you use an SSH keypair
- Remote Desktop (ThinLinc) via Web Browser
- Remote Desktop (ThinLinc) via installed Client: affected if you use BoilerKey, not affected if you use an SSH keypair
- RStudio Server
- SMB/CIFS mapped network drives of cluster home, scratch, and Data Depot spaces: affected for off-campus users (require Purdue VPN that relies on BoilerKey).
- SCP, SFTP, RSYNC and other SSH-based data transfers to and from the clusters, Data Depot and Fortress: affected if you use BoilerKey to authenticate. However, users of SSH key-based authentication will not be affected.
- Globus: affected if you use "Purdue University - Main Campus" as your Organization when you login to Globus. Identities provided by other organizations (other universities, GlobusID, Google, ORCiD, etc) are not affected.
- Research Computing web site: quota and user management tools, purchases and order management, and other authenticated operations are affected. The web site itself will remain available, including documentation and user guides.
Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.