October 13, 2011
Join MathWorks for a free seminar on MATLAB on Thursday, October 13, 2011 in the Lawson Computer Science Building, Room 1142.
Presented by: Jiro Doke, Ph.D., Senior Application Engineer and Gerardo Hernandez, Application Engineer
3:00 – 3:30 p.m.
Registration and sign-in. Walk-ins are welcome.
3:30 – 5:30 p.m.
Session 1: Data Analysis with MATLAB
During this session we will use examples to demonstrate how to acquire, analyze, and visualize data through mathematical, statistical, and engineering functions that support common engineering operations. This session is designed to be an overview of the MATLAB technical computing environment, including desktop tools for editing and debugging code, publishing your work, programming and 3-D visualization, and creating graphical user interfaces (GUI).
• Importing data from various sources
• Performing statistical analysis
• Automating analysis via automatic m-code generation
• Building GUI’s and generating reports
5:30 – 6:00 p.m.
Pizza will be served.
6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Session 2: Joint Parallel Computing Seminar and HPC Workshop
Part 1: Parallel Computing with MATLAB (90 min)
This session will show you how new products and features for MATLAB enable you to take advantage of recent advances in computer hardware, including multiprocessor machines, computer clusters, and graphics processing units (GPUs).
You will learn about:
• Considerations for transitioning from serial to parallel MATLAB programs
• Executing applications on a multicore or multiprocessor workstation
• Automatically speed up some toolbox functions
• Easily speed up your own algorithms using parallel FOR loops
• Scaling algorithms up to a computing cluster
We will also discuss an upcoming addition to the Parallel Computing Toolbox, which allows you to accelerate algorithms using a graphics processing unit (GPU)
Part 2: Accessing MATLAB on the RCAC HPC resources (30 min)
Staff from the Rosen Center for Advanced Computing will demonstrate
• How to gain access to the RCAC cluster
• Use your MATLAB code on RCAC High Performance Computing system
Please email email@example.com with any questions.