Registration is now open for RCAC's 2024 summer camps
Purdue’s Rosen Center for Advanced Computing (RCAC) will be organizing two summer camps for high school students as part of Purdue’s 2024 on-campus “Summer College for High School Students” program that gives high school students age 16 and up the ability to earn college credit, explore potential majors and experience campus life.
One of the RCAC camps will cover cybersecurity best practices and career pathways, and the other blends an introduction to coding with hands-on environmental science. These camps promise to ignite passion, nurture talent, and shape the future tech leaders of tomorrow.
Registration is now open, and will close in May 2024 with applicants accepted on a rolling basis. Thanks to RCAC support, the tuition, room and board for the RCAC camps will be reduced to a total of $100 per week, a steep discount from typical rates.
The two RCAC camps are:
CyberSafe Heroes: A Week of Cybersecurity Mastery, June 16-21, 2024
The CyberSafe Heroes camp is a one-week immersive experience focusing on digital security's intricate and ever-evolving sphere. This program covers topics such as:
- Educational Adventures in Cyberspace: Students will unravel the mysteries of encryption, ethical hacking, and online safety through dynamic, hands-on activities.
- Professional Pathways: This camp is not just about learning; it's about inspiring. We aim to spark a lifelong interest in cybersecurity careers.
- Digital Citizenship: At the core of our mission is empowering young minds to become responsible and savvy navigators of the digital world.
Sample activities include encryption challenges, ethical hacking simulations, cybersecurity escape rooms, online safety workshops, and engaging career panels with cybersecurity professionals.
Code Explorers: Coding and Environmental Discovery, June 23-28, 2024
Code Explorers is more than a coding camp; it’s a journey intertwining coding with environmental consciousness. In this camp, students will employ microcontrollers and sensors to gather real-time environmental data, turning numbers into compelling digital narratives about our planet. This camp promises:
- Coding Proficiency: From Python to block-based coding, students will learn the languages that power our digital world.
- Data Storytelling: The camp places a strong emphasis on analyzing and visualizing data to tell impactful stories about environmental issues.
- Hands-on Learning: Activities include coding with microcontrollers, data analysis with Python, creating environmentally-themed games, and much more.
Whether it's solving puzzles in a cybersecurity escape room or collecting soil moisture data in a local forest, these camps offer a summer of learning, discovery, and fun. Students will not only gain invaluable skills but also develop a deeper understanding of how technology can be used for social good.
Take advantage of the chance to be part of RCAC’s visionary summer camps and pave the way for a brighter, tech-savvy future! Learn more about the camps and register here.