How to migrate your shared Globus endpoint
September 20, 2017
If you are the owner of shared Globus endpoints based off a retiring 'purdue#rcac' master endpoint, you may have to migrate your shares to a new resource-specific master. If you do not migrate them, your shared endpoints will become inaccessible on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 when the underlying 'purdue#rcac' endpoint retires.
The following guide may serve as an overview of a suggested endpoint switching process.
- Login to Globus in two separate browser windows side by side: https://transfer.rcac.purdue.edu
- In the first window, under "Manage Data" -- "Endpoints", navigate to the list of endpoints administered by you (https://transfer.rcac.purdue.edu/globus-app/endpoints?scope=administered-by-me)
- Click on a specific OLD endpoint that needs to be switched. This will display endpoint's detailed properties.
- Note the "Host Path" parameter near the bottom of the list.
|Host Path||New master endpoint|
|/home/...||"Purdue Research Computing - Home Directories" (a.k.a. 'purdue#home')|
|/depot/...||"Purdue Research Computing - Data Depot" (a.k.a. 'purdue#depot')|
|/group/...||"Purdue Research Computing - Data Depot" (a.k.a. 'purdue#depot')|
|/scratch/CLUSTER/...||"Purdue Research Computing - CLUSTER" (a.k.a. 'purdue#CLUSTER'), where CLUSTER may be one of halstead, rice, snyder, conte, etc.|
- In the second browser window, under "Manage Data" -- "Transfer Files", navigate to the NEW master endpoint you have just determined in step 4.
- Proceed to the exact path as described by "Host Path" from step 4. Note: do not highlight any of its contents.
- As usual, to create your NEW shared endpoint anchored here, click on the 'Share' link along the top of endpoint panel.
- In the share creation dialogue, enter your NEW share's name, description and keywords (you can just copy values from the OLD share, which are still open in the first browser window from step 3).
- Click the blue "Create" button. This will bring you into the "Sharing" tab of your NEW share. Similarly to step 8 above, recreate all sharing attributes and permissions according to corresponding settings of your OLD share (which are still open in the first browser window from step 3).
- DONE! You have successfully converted your OLD shared endpoint into an identically configured NEW one.
Repeat steps 2-9 with all other 'purdue#rcac' based old shares you would like to re-create off of new individual per-resource masters.
Finally, when all set and done, in the first browser window you can click "Delete endpoint" button to delete the deprecated old share to avoid future confusion.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions or need any help with this process.